CCNMTL staff joined a core group of NYC-based cultural and educational institutions on Thursday, January 22, to discuss new initiatives with massive open online courses (MOOCs)––the first of what we expect will be several New York City MOOC-producer meet-ups. Convening at Mt. Sinai’s Icahn School of Medicine, and hosted by Associate Dean Paul Lawrence, the informal gathering included staff and educators from Columbia University, the American Museum of Natural History, and Mt. Sinai.
Each group discussed their organization’s work in the MOOC space to date, and addressed potential areas for further discussion and collaboration. Topics outlined for the next meet-up, likely to be hosted at Columbia, include:
- the purpose and mission of online education
- the impact of MOOCs on pedagogy
- best practices for audiovisual production
- best practices for captioning and translating
- strategies for publishing––on MOOC platforms and beyond
- working with alumni and other special cohorts
- best practices for marketing and promotion
Additional NYC institutions, such as the Museum of Modern Art, plan to join the group at future meet-ups.
Follow us on Twitter (@ccnmtl) for updates on the latest developments in the NYC MOOC-producer-community!